To dig, your Dinoz will have to talk to the Coral Miner at the Coral Mines. He will give you a Lucky Shovel that lets you dig once before it breaks. The Broken Shovel can be taken back to the Coral Miner, and he will then fix it for you.
There are only a few items you can dig up. They all have a special purpose, so nothing about digging is random.
- Sticky Swamp gives you Swamp Mud
- The Fountain of Youth gives you Pure Water
- Basalt Slopes gives you Basalt Shard
- Ashpouk Ruins gives you Old Stone which, after being cleaned by Professor Eugene at The University, becomes an Ashpouk Totem which allows you to participate in the tournament at BrutForce
- Tunnel under the Branch (only during part 4 of the Alien's Quest) gives you a Magic Star.
- Lodestone Pylons during Mahamuti quest.
- Lavapit during Mahamuti quest.
Once you have Swamp Mud, Pure Water, and Basalt Shard, give the three items to the ArchSage in the Underwater Dome. He will give you Zors Glove in return, with which you will be able to reach the Grumhel Forest.